The West Covina Unified School District hosted a ribbon cutting ceremony for the reopening of the West Covina High School Thyberg Stadium Friday, Sept. 7 at 6:30 p.m.
The projects and proposed timelines within this plan may change over time based on District needs and funding. All facility/modernization projects, which include site specific location, will be brought before the West Covina Board of Education for approval.
PREPARING FOR THE FUTURE
West Covina Unified believes that students cannot excel at learning unless they feel safe and have a clean and healthy learning environment. Many of our campuses are showing their age and mere patch work and Band-Aids are no longer enough. Critical repairs and long-term improvements are now needed to sustain the aging infrastructure at our schools. The West Covina Unified School Board addressed these current challenges with Measure ES on the November 8, 2016 election ballot.
West Covina Unified School District is committed to providing a safe and positive setting for all students and staff. Over the past few years, we have studied our school facilities with increased emphasis—because all children deserve to learn in safe, high-quality school facilities. Measure ES is a General Obligation Bond authorizing up to $143 million for school facility upgrades, improvements, and new buildings in our district. Our goal with this effort is to help make teaching and learning in all West Covina Unified schools as effective and successful as possible.
THE DISTRICT’S CRITICAL NEEDS
- Repair or replace deteriorating roofs, old rusty plumbing, heating, HVAC, and outdated electrical systems where needed.
- Provide classrooms and labs for career technology education classes so students are prepared for college and good paying jobs.
- Improve access to school facilities for students with injuries or disabilities.
- Improve student safety and campus security systems: including; security lighting, fencing and video cameras, emergency communications systems, smoke detectors, fire alarms, and fire sprinklers.
- Provide modern labs in the key subjects of math, science, and technology.